August 23, 2013 |
With this week’s release of the Callinan Review of the parole system in Victoria, and State Coroner Ian Gray ordering the release of Professor Ogloff’s 2011 Review of parolee reoffending by way of murder and the Consolidated response to reviews of offenders charged with murder (both redacted), there has been vigorous public debate about the value of parole and its contribution to community safety.
Smart Justice believes that community safety should indeed be paramount, with parole playing a valuable part in the rehabilitation of offenders and improving community safety by placing conditions on release, including supervision.
Without parole, most offenders would ultimately be released at the end of their sentence anyway, but would not be subject to measures to support their safer return to the community. A properly resourced and supported parole system works to reduce reoffending in cases where offenders are appropriately assessed as of low risk to the community.
The following offers a selection of recent media on parole, which will also feature on the SBS Insight program next Tuesday 27 August.
- Tough-on-crime at odds with global trend, The Sunday Age, Sunday 25 August 2013
- After the Callinan report, counting the cost of parole reform, ABC 7.30 Victoria, Friday 23 August 2013
- Paying the price for public safety, The Age, Friday 23 August 2013
- How parole board failures left public exposed: reports, The Age, Friday 23 August 2013
- Experts defend ‘low risk’ parole system, The Age, Friday 23 August 2013
- Former head of parole board hits back at criticisms, ABC Radio National, The World Today, Thursday 22 August 2013
- Former parole board chair Simon Whelan speaks out, Mornings with Jon Faine, 774 ABC Melbourne, Thursday 22 August 2013
- Details of a damning 2011 parole report revealed, ABC News Online, Thursday 22 August 2013
- Parole system flaws revealed in secret reports, The Age, Thursday 22 August 2013
- The Victorian government flags major changes in the state’s parole system, ABC Lateline, Wednesday 21 August 2013
- Parole crackdown: Victoria gets tough on violent re-offenders, ABC 7.30, Wednesday 21 August 2013
- Parole report highlights under-resourcing, Loddon Campaspe CLC, Wednesday 21 August 2013
- Napthine government fighting to keep damning report secret, ABC TV News Victoria, Tuesday 20 August 2013
- Jill Meagher’s killer should have been off the streets: Callinan review, ABC TV News Victoria, Tuesday 20 August 2013
- Report recommends overhaul of besieged adult parole board, ABC Radio National PM, Tuesday 20 August 2013
- Strong parole system will benefit community, Human Rights Law Centre, Tuesday 30 July 2013
An earlier media wrap on parole is also available.