Why is this important?
- Premier Daniel Andrews wants to lead the “most progressive” government in Australia but we've found he is locking up more people than ever in profit-driven prisons, even though crime is at historic lows.
- In the next five years over 6,800 women will be jailed in Victoria, with over half of them being mothers of dependent children.
- At least 7,000 children will be impacted by their mothers going to prison in the next five years.
- People are being locked up for “crimes” that are simply the result of poverty, discrimination and trauma. With Aboriginal people most affected by these harsh policies.
- Aboriginal people are the most incarcerated people in the whole world.
- Premier Andrews:
- Reverse laws that are criminalising people just for being poor.
- Offer adequate support to people with addiction and trauma, not prison.
- Stop police from unjustly targeting First Nations people and people of colour.
- Let's act together and show the Premier that we won't wait.