May 18, 2020 |
This week is Law Week 2020, both its 40th anniversary and the first held completely online due to COVID-19 health restrictions.
The positive side of that is that all the events, resources and action is accessible wherever you are.
2020 has bought the biggest transformation in decades to the way we function as a community, as well as the way we interact with the law.
This year’s events demonstrate the adaptive and responsive nature of Australia's legal sector - and underlines the critical importance of community legal centres in times of great challenges and change.
Law Week is highlighting 16 Victorian community legal centres/programs:
- Ballarat & Grampians Community Legal Service
- Brimbank Melton Community Legal Centre
- Goulburn Valley Community Legal Centre
- Hume-Riverina Community Legal Service
- Inner Melbourne Community Legal
- Loddon Campaspe Community Legal Centre
- Monash Law Clinics
- Moonee Valley Legal Service
- Murray Mallee Community Legal Service
- Northern Community Legal Centre
- Peninsula Community Legal Centre
- Prison Law Advice Line (Fitzroy Legal Service)
- Seniors Rights Victoria
- Whittlesea Community Legal Service
Several CLCs will also be sharing their expertise on COVID-19 this year:
- Fitzroy Legal Centre and Flemington Kensington CLC will be presenting on policing restrictions and your rights during COVID-19
- Inner Melbourne Community Legal and WEstJustice will talk about COVID-19 and international students
- Barwon Community Legal Service will present on renting rights during COVID-19
- Ballarat and Grampians CLS are offering an info session on Cyber bullying for parents and carers
- Eastern Community Legal Centre will talk about Recognising and Avoiding Scams especially during COVID-19.
Other COVID-19 highlights include a panel discussion with the Energy and Water, Victorian, Telecommunications and Insurance and Financial Complaints Authority Ombudsmen on Helping Victorians Get Fair Outcomes; and Shared Parental Care During COVID-19 presented by Family Dispute Resolution Practitioners Annabelle Mendoza, Jann Thredgold and Michelle Dobbie of the Family Relationship Centre.
Although we won’t be in the same physical space this year, we look forward to experiencing all that Law Week 2020 has on offer alongside our CLC and sector peers.